When we hear yoga, people associate it with colorful leggings and expensive yoga studios. But what is yoga and is it for you?
Yoga is not just a mere exercise routine but it also encompasses mental practice as well as spiritual and religious aspects.
It includes various forms of meditation and a certain commitment to oneself. Yoga is more on proper breathing techniques and posture. This promotes overall wellness as it requires diligence and control.
Nowadays, these postures have been adopted by the western world with enthusiasm.
Yoga is one of the top exercises a person can practice. It is coupled with so many benefits and advantages. This is way more convenient than any other exercise because you don’t need to go to the gym all the time. If you cannot go to a yoga studio, and you are afraid that you will miss yoga classes, do not fret because you can do yoga at home.
Yoga is about working with exactly what you’ve got. Do you want to learn how to start yoga at home?
Here are some few points to consider if you decide to start yoga:
- Decide where you want to start yoga. Do you want to go to a yoga studio and learn from a yoga instructor in person?
- How exactly do you want to learn yoga? Do you want to start yoga at home first? Do you want to use yoga videos or yoga DVDs?
- Do a bit of research online; are there any yoga studios near you? What style of yoga do they offer?
- Plot a time as when are you going to practice yoga. Are you going to do yoga daily, twice a week, thrice a week, etc.?
What to expect at your first yoga?
Let’s say for example that you’ve chosen to practice yoga at a nearby yoga studio in your area, the following are the things you need to know before rocking up;
- Arrive early. 10-20 minutes’ tops.
- Roll out your mat on the floor, take a comfortable seat or lay down on your back and rest quietly.
- When the yoga teacher arrives, this is your opportunity to speak and share any injuries, if you have, that might affect your practice.
- The class will begin with some breathing exercises.
Yoga at home
Now if you’ve decided to do your first yoga routine or practice at home, that’s good. Well either you practice yoga in a yoga studio or at home, it doesn’t matter. It’s the first step to a healthier you.
Getting started with home practice is easy. Whether it’s the first thing you do in the morning or the last thing you do at night, yoga can be added included seamlessly in your daily routine.
To begin with:
- Purchase a yoga mat.
- Choose comfortable clothes.
- Select a space to roll out your yoga mat.
- Choose a beginner class to follow on YouTube or a yoga app.
This article is only a summary to what yoga truly is and how it can affect you. For a more detailed yoga guide, you can visit the website yogazenlife.com.