Retinol, you’ll find this ingredient in most skincare products, specifically anti-aging, exfoliating, and anti-breakout products. However, how well do you exactly know what retinol is?
While there are a lot of debates about its efficiency and how safe it is to use retinol, there are a lot of users who don’t have the slightest idea of how to use it. So, before saying that retinol is effective or not, you should take the time to read this.
What is retinol?
Retinol is not just a kind of beauty or skincare product that contains vitamin A derivative; technically speaking, it is a type of retinoid – a compound that is derived from vitamin A. The retinoid helps increase the production of collagen and it helps increase the rate of the skin cells turnover (the process of shedding of dead skin cells and its replacement with younger skin cells.
What does retinol do?
Products with retinol can modify the behavior of the aged cells, letting it perform in youthful behavior. Moreover, when retinol is incorporated with other useful skincare practices, there are a lot of skin changes that happen; this includes the following:
- The skin renewal accelerates.
- The production of collagen enhances.
- The appearance of aging reduces.
- It helps even skin texture.
- Reduces or eliminating dark or age spots, hyperpigmentation, and uneven skin complexion.
- Minimize breakouts as it regulates oily skin.
However, retinols do not work equally on everyone – some may get a positive result, while others may get allergic reactions including skin dryness, contact allergies, rosacea, and general sensitivity. On the other note, the adverse effects of using retinol can be caused by two main reasons – skin sensitivity and wrong use of products with retinol.
How to use skincare products with retinol?
Most of the retinol product is safe and it’s suitable for everyday use; however, it should be used according to an expert’s recommendation and it should suit your skin type. Remember, retinol isn’t formulated equally, where some have heavy concentration while others don’t. So, here’s a quick tip on how to use retinol product without experiencing side effects:
- Choose the right retinol product according to your skin type. Retinol moisturizers are a few retinol products that can cause skin irritation. You may try Body Merry Retinol Moisturizer – a safe retinol product that contains safe and natural ingredients.
- Never use retinol until you reached the age of 30; you may use the product 3 – 4 times a week. If you are already in your 40s and beyond, you may incorporate retinol with other skincare product every other night.
- Never wear retinol products during the day because retinol may cause breakouts if exposed to sunlight. So, include the retinol on to your skincare evening routines.
Retinol as an ingredient in skincare products is one of the unspoken heroes because of possible adverse effects due to wrong use and skin sensitivity. So, before you purchase any product with retinol, try to read a few of reliable and honest reviews about it and follow the recommendation to ensure its efficiency and safety.